Friday, February 27, 2009

Back to Class

So last night was the first altered books class I've given since the move to our new apartment. The pressure was on because it was time to start guiding the work into a direction beyond dabbling and 'trying it out.' I decided to lead them in doing a journal page inspired by the techniques of Teesha Moore, one of my most favorite altered book artists, workshop-leaders, and creative whirlwinds.

She's one of the most influential artists in the altered book scene, and one of the most referenced or imitated--everyone loves her work, and anyone who has ever put a cone hat on a winsome face or made striped leggings dance has Teesha to thank. She creates entire worlds with her strange and beautiful and freaky characters. Her work appears to have started mainly with decorated journal pages, and moved out into assemblages and textile books and boxes.

In the history of women's traditional arts, (in the past: connected to creating things for the home, to commemorate the family or community, and for hobbyism, but usually not considered 'real art') there has been a long tradition of adding edifying quotes and bits of inspirational text to women's personal creative works. Teesha's work is part of this tradition, only in the modern context it emphasises the individual experience. Her journal pages are punctuated with inspirational text regarding the creative impulse and freedom of self-expression, and these poke holes in what exactly it means to Be A Creative Artist. She articulates in nearly every piece that the power to create is a personal quest, an expression of passion and life force, an inner calling to give form to one's own eccentricities.


She says, "When I am in the creative flow I feel connected to a higher power. So, of course, I feel compelled to helping others experience the same joy with creativity that I love to immerse myself in." And she is amazingly generous in giving other artists access to her style through directions on her website, sharing her personal imagery in sheets for folks to purchase, sharing her thoughts and pictures of her studio and inspirations on her blog, and organizing the Art Fest in Washington. Which I DREAM of attending.

Teesha writes:

"To me, making art is play. I don't worry what others will think of
it. I do it and if others like it, great. If they don't, I know they will move onto the next artist who inspires them. I create from my gut. I let whatever is inside of me come out, so I step aside as much as possible so that can happen. I am always happy to share any idea or technique I know with anyone who wants to listen because it is all about creativity and if something I say can get someone to shoot off down a path of their own creative path, there is no greater joy for me."

I like how she mentions that she gets out of her own way when she creates art, and lets it come forth on its own. I really relate to this in terms of shamanic work as well, since it is an essential part of merging with Spirits, and allowing their voices to come through in healing, ritual, or art.

No comments:

Post a Comment